Fictitious Firms / Business License

On February 14, 2018, The White Pine County Board of Commissioners passed Ordinance 482 requiring any person or entity operating a business, trade, profession, industry, occupation, or calling within White Pine County outside of Ely city limits to apply for and obtain a business license. Business Licenses are required in White Pine County for all existing businesses no later than July 31, 2018. The Business License Application Form can be obtained from the White Pine County Clerk at 801 Clark Street, Suite 4, Ely, Nevada 89301, by calling 775-293-6509, or by downloading the following form. There is an initial application fee of $75 and an annual renewal fee of $50. Business Licenses will expire on July 31st of every year and will require renewal at that time. For more information, please contact the White Pine County Clerk. Please refer to Ordinances 482 and 490 that address County Business Licenses and Marijuana Establishments in the County.

On April 11, 2018, The Board of Commissioners passed Ordinance 489 which placed an expiration date on all fictitious firm name forms (DBA's) on file in the White Pine County Clerk's Office of five (5) years after the initial application date. The White Pine County Clerk attempted to notify all people on file, but if you failed to update your business information after any changes, it is possible you did not receive this notice. Please see Ordinance 489 regarding this change. A link to a form is below.

Do I need a Business License?

Who needs a business license?

Any person or entity who conducts business within the County or has a physical location in the County must obtain a business license on or before the date the business commences. Conducting business in the County without a license can result in penalties, correction notices, citations or court action.

I'm paid via "1099"; do I need a business license?

Yes. If you are not paid as an employee, you are considered independent or self-employed and are required to have a business license.

Do non-profit organizations need a business license?

No. Proof of non-profit status from the Internal Revenue Service and the Nevada Secretary of State is required.

Do state licensed contractors need a business license?

Any person licensed as a contractor by the State Contractor's Board must obtain a business license if

  • conducting business in White Pine County, or
  • physically located in White Pine County, whether or not performing construction work in the County.

I just purchased this business. Can I use the business license from the previous owner?

Business licenses are not transferable; however, when a new owner takes over an existing business, such new owner may continue to operate the existing business under the existing license[s] pending approval of the new owner's application, provided that, the existing business is operating under all required licenses; all required licenses are current; the new owner has submitted a completed application and all appropriate fees for a new license[s] and the outgoing owner agrees to remain accountable and liable for any violations under the existing license[s] for the first 60 days after the new ownership.

Business Locations

I conduct business in several cities. Can I get just one license to do business in ALL of them?

Unfortunately, no. Each city/county has its own business license requirements. It is important to know that most Nevada cities have a business license ordinance. However, each city has its own fee structure and requirements. Check with the appropriate City or County for their rules and regulations. If you will be conducting business within Ely and the surrounding areas, you may need as many as four separate licenses, which include the State of Nevada, City of Ely and White Pine County. The White Pine County license is good only in the unincorporated areas of the county and does not cover any of the incorporated areas located within it.

Any restrictions on where I do business?

Every business must be approved by other departments to ensure that the business activity and site are compatible. It is strongly urged that before signing any lease or rental agreement, that you check with the Building and Planning Department to make sure your business activity is appropriate for the zoning or requires special parking considerations. Please call the Building Official at (775) 289-6500 for zoning information.

What if I want to move the business to another location within the City/County?

Always check with the Building and Planning Department to verify that the new location is zoned properly for the intended use and whether a special use permit or other type of approval is required. You must notify our office whenever you change your address, phone number, business activity or ownership. We will be happy to provide you with the necessary paperwork and fee information related to the requested changes.

Signs, Advertising & Displaying Your License

Can I hang it at a Mail Boxes Etc. or similar location?

No. White Pine County does not allow a post office box to be listed as your physical location. You must list the actual physical location of your business and operate the business from that location. A post office box may be used for your mailing address only.

Other Licenses/Permits

Do I need a State of Nevada Business License?

Every business operating in the State of Nevada is required to register with the Nevada Secretary of State's Office to obtain a Nevada State Business License. To apply or for questions regarding the Nevada State Business License, contact the Secretary of State, 101 N. Carson Street, Suite 3, Reno, Nevada 89701, (775) 684-5708; or visit their website. It is required that the form be filed prior to obtaining a City of Ely or White Pine County business license.

Do I need a D.B.A. (Doing Business As) or Fictitious Business Name?

If your business name is anything other than your legal given name or exact corporate name, you will need to file a Fictitious Firm Name form with the White Pine County Clerk's office. It is required that the form be filed prior to obtaining a business license.

Do I need a sales tax permit?

Every business operating in the State of Nevada requires a Sales Tax or Use Tax Permit, or exemption, issued by the State of Nevada Department of Taxation. To apply or for questions regarding sales or use tax, contact the Nevada Department of Taxation call center at 866-962-3707.

What about selling food?

If you will be selling or preparing food, you will need to apply for a health permit from the State of Nevada Bureau of Health Protection Services at 725 Avenue K, Ely NV 89301 (775) 289-3325. Necessary permits must be obtained from the Health District prior to the issuance of business licenses.

How do I obtain a contractor's license?

Contractors must first obtain a license from the Nevada State Contractor's Board, 9670 Gateway Drive #100, Reno, Nevada, 89521, (775) 688-1141. Once the license has been obtained from the State of Nevada, an application may be submitted to the County.

How do I get a childcare license?

Childcare licensing is administered by the State of Nevada Bureau of Services for Childcare. They may be reached at (775) 684-4400. They license locations caring for five or more children. Lists of such facilities may be obtained from their office. After obtaining the necessary permits from their office, you will need to come into our office to get your business license.

Business License Application (PDF)

Ordinance 482 (PDF)

Ordinance 489 (PDF)

Ordinance 490 (PDF)

Fictitious Firm Name Form (DBA) (PDF)